Friday, September 28, 2012

Bow hunting out this year

   The last year hasn't been the most kind to me. Late August of 2011, I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff that was hanging on by a couple of threads. The doc said after surgery he wasn't sure if it would be successful or not.
   A few weeks later it developed an infection that required four more surgeries in an attempt to clean it out.
   By now the damage was probably mostly done. What was left of the rotator cuff was gone as the infection had gotten down to the bone.
   A new surgeon said we need to go in and clean scar tissue then manipulate the shoulder. Following that surgery, I had better range of motion and less daily pain. That lasted for about two weeks.
   Months of physical therapy helped improve my range of motion but the pain is still there. The new doc suggests doing a reverse should replacement as the next step.
   My suggestion is to stay away from surgery for as long as possible. In the meantime I've joined a gym and have really been giving it a good work out. The damage is done so it can't hurt to use it.
   That brings me to the bow. For some reason, I cringe at the thought of drawing a bow back. So far I haven't shot one arrow.
   No doubt that will change once I get some more confidence in what I can do. Right now, I can't play catch with my grandson which really bothers me.
   I don't need another activity telling me I can't participate. In the meantime, I'll keep working at it and sooner or later, get out and try to hit that straw bale.

facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment