Thursday, May 30, 2013

Fishing baits-tie direct or use hardware?

   This question must be nearly as old as fishing itself. Except in the very early days, they didn't have cross locks or swivels to tie to leaders and eventually to that piece of bone they were throwing.
   I'm far from an expert when it comes to answering some of these questions. Most of my answers come from hanging around with Kevin VaDam (or at least reading one of his books!) fishing with Lance Valentine, Bill McElroy or John Miniaci.
   All of these guys have lots of water under the transom and know what they are talking about when it comes to the "how to" bit on fishing.
   But here's my take. Ice fishing with Mark Martin has taught me to tie a jig direct to the mainline. The exception is when you some of the Rapala baits and jigging spoons.
   Just about anyone I know ties spinnerbaits direct to the main line. I've seen some manufactured with eyes to either tie direct to or add a snap. I like the direct method the best.
   Topwaters, cranks or jerkbaits get my vote for snaps. Having said all of this, it can get a little tricky when you are throwing hardware to spin in the water.
   Here you'll want a barrel swivel, leader, snap then the bait. Spoons come to mind for this type of fishing.
   So what's your choice, tie or not to tie? Experiment, read and talk to others. Before you know it you'll come up with your own method.

1 comment:

  1. I've been practicing snap fishing for about two years and I like it

    ReplyDelete