Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Kayak safety and bruises go together

   For me, about anything I try to do these days results in bruising someplace on the old body. Last weekend while practicing tipping kayaks over in deep water, righting them then getting back aboard, I managed to collect a few more.
   One in particular on the inside of my elbow is about the size of a baseball and quite sore. I think I pulled a muscle while making several tries at righting the boat and getting back in.
   Just to be on the safe side while at the doctor for another problem I asked why I was getting bruised up so much.
   Seems as though one of the meds I take is the cause. "If you weren't getting bruised I would change the medication," he said. "The good thing about the bruises is it shows the medicine is working."
   Good for the medicine. I don't remember looking like I had been used for a blocking dummy in years gone by.
   Speaking of medicines, I have to carry a list around with me to keep track of what I take, the dose and how often.
   No offense to doctors-after all we do need them-but I'm collecting them like some people collect stamps or coins.
   There seems to be no let up to the number of doctors, the specialities they practice and the medicines that are available.
   On a more serious note, I woke this morning to the news that prominent fiction writer and local resident Elmore "Dutch" Leonard had died.
   I knew Dutch and had spent hours at his home talking writing and different life experiences. When I would bump into him from time to time at some outing, he always remembered me.
   He was kind enough to autograph a picture along with a personal note for me several years ago. His family and fans will miss him.


 
Chris LeMessurier practicing water safety in his kayak. By Beukema


 On a more serious note, I woke this morning to the news that prominent fiction writer and local resident Elmore "Dutch" Leonard had died.
   I knew Dutch and had spent hours at his home talking writing and different life experiences. When I would bump into him from time to time at some outing, he always remembered me.
   He was kind enough to autograph a picture along with a personal note for me several years ago. His family and fans will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment