Monday, June 20, 2011

MUCC Charity shoot for kids a smooth event

   Last Friday I was invited to attend the 19th annual Lt. Governor's charity shoot to benefit kids programs on behalf of Michigan United Conservation Clubs, "Get Kid's in the Outdoors," held at Grand Blanc Huntsman's Club.
   Shooters tried their skills at shooting clay targets along the walking course that covered 10 sstations. From the arrival and registration, ammunition selection , lunch catered by Country Smokehouse in Imlay City, then on to the safety meeting and then the actual shooting, this event ran smooth.
   Shooters comprised one of three groups going off at different times. Each group listened to rules of the course, safety instructions and a short presentation from MUCC officials before heading off.
   I was with old friend and sometime hunting pal Tom Huggler. Also with us was Bill Parker and Tom Watts. We all know each other but rarely get out to enjoy an experience like this together.
   Huggler, who has affectionately been called "the General" by hunting companions for his days of hard hunting, led our group in points.
   "That's the best I've shot in a long time," he said. He carded 44 out of 50. Using a borrowed shotgun and not expecting much, I managed a respectable 34 out of 50. I'll take it and run any day. My shooting has never been very good and since I haven't mounted a long gun in sometime, I was surprised at how well I was able to do.
   Sporting clays is another great sport we can enjoy in the outdoors and not hurt a hair or feather on any animal if that is your goal.
   Check it out at a range or ask for advice at a good gun shop. Like they say, "It's like golf with a shotgun."

No comments:

Post a Comment