Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas remembered

One reader, Sandman who regularly contributes comment to this space wrote about a recent post that talked about the size of gifts received, and that many times it was the smaller gifts that turned out to be the best.
"Truer words were never spoken, Roger. ...'I still have a pair of wools socks my father gave me many years ago but they are saved for the memories of when we fished together in an ice shanty staring into the green water.'
Today, while waiting in line at the grocery store, I asked the lady ahead of me if she was ready for Christmas.
She motioned with her hand to indicate sort of. "I'm going home now to bake cut out cookies," she said with a smile.
"It's funny how something like cut out cookies reminds you of when you were a kid. I look forward to it every year," she said.
So it's not the size or cost of the gift that's remembered but the thought that went into it. The fact that you merely took the time to think of others.
It's the snow falling Christmas eve, going to Mass or church service, singing carols, looking at all the lights in homes, and the pleasure of your friends and family when they are close.

No comments:

Post a Comment