Wednesday, July 11, 2012

James Bastion-The complete outdoorsman

   I first met James Bastion when he was 14 or 15. Even at that young age, he was a dedicated long bow hunter and target shooter. I don't think I ever heard of him hunting with a gun of any caliber.
   Then as now, he hunts rabbits, pheasant and deer with his long bow. This time of the year finds him picking blueberries.
   "I like them in pancakes," he recently told me. But my oma makes blueberry kuchen that is very good," he added his eyes lighting up at the very thought of this German desert.
   Oma is German for grandmother, and kuchen is German for cake. German kuchen isn't as sweet as our cakes. In fact these sort of fall between a tort and cake. Anyway you cut a kuchen, they are absolutely delicious.
  Stay tuned while I hit the field with James and see what techniques he uses for deer scouting. Even though it may seem early, July is a good time to begin looking around for deer sign.
  We'll talk more on what to look for in upcoming blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment