Wednesday, December 5, 2012

SAD affects many this time of year

   If you feel yourself tired all the time, sitting in front of the TV with the remote in your hand, and nearly living in your bedroom, you may be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, known as SAD. It's an appropriate description because sad describes your mood day in and day out.
   I'm not a doctor so if you are having any of these symptoms, by all means, consult with your doctor. It could be something else entirely.
   In my case, usually around the middle of December right through May, I get in that strange world where I don't feel like doing anything. As my dad used to say, "I could care less if school kept on not."
   The solution for me, after many years, has been a combination of medicine, counselling and exercise.
   In any event, staying active, whether you walk, use a treadmill, or ride a stationary bike, the important thing is to keep moving and stay active.
   Another thing to consider is finding a hobby then practicing it. Go to the library not only to check a book out, but read a newspaper while you're there from another town or city. Grab a magazine, then find a quiet corner, a comfortable chair and read for awhile without distractions.
   Sportsmen could tie flies, make baits or lures, build a rod, clean guns, organize equipment or build something like an ammo box. Don't know how to tie flies, take a class. Go to trout unlimited.org for a TU chapter nearby that offers instruction.
   Recently, I joined Oakland County Cross Fit. Cross fit is a form of exercise done under the direction and observation of a qualified trainer, that exercises different muscles each day.
   Each day the workout is posted. No matter what that program calls for, workouts can and are tailored to the individual.
   In my case I've had both knees replaced and a not so successful shoulder operation that has left me weaker on one side.
   Another thing to consider is the lack of sunshine providing vitamin D. On those days when there is sun, get outdoors for an hour or so to absorb some of those healthy rays. An alternative is to buy a lamp with a bulb that simulates being outdoors in the sun. They're available almost anywhere.
   Some things I can't do without difficulty or pain so other excercises are substituted for me. For more information on cross fit visit oaklandcountycrossfit.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment