Friday, July 16, 2010

Keweenaw and more

LAURIUM-This small village is right next door to Calumet in the Keweenaw Peninsula, about a nine-hour drive from Oakland County.
Whoever coined the phrase, "so many lakes and not enough time," should have included rivers. On my drive here, I passed or crossed water of all kinds; lakes, ponds, creeks, rivers, and of course, Great Lakes.
I'm always struck by the beauty of the Upper Peninsula and the wildness that the area seems to emit.
Heading north and west on highway 28 then eventually, highway 41, reminded me of bird hunting in this area several years ago.
That's because I saw so many lakes with no one on them. I vowed then to come back and fish as many as I could. Of course, I have never gotten to do it-too many other irons in the fire.
But passing Baraga State Park made me think of that vow. The park is located practically on the water; one of Lake Superior's many bays. It's actually on the opposite side of the road from the lake.
My thought has been to make the park my home base then head out from there to as many of the other small lakes and streams around it.
Whether you fish or not makes no difference. Kayaks, especially sea kayaks outnumber power boats in this reason. This is a great area for paddle sports.
It also works well for hiking, biking, sightseeing, or hanging around the many museums. As for me, I'm off to Lac La Belle ( French for Lake of the Bell's), for some kayak fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment