Monday, July 26, 2010

Time flies

I could never figure out when persons older than me used to say, "The older you get, the faster time goes." Or, "Slow down and enjoy life. It's gone before you realize it."
I'm finding these words get truer with every year I add on. But still, I hurry through days, weeks, and even months, often looking a long way ahead.
For instance, I just got off the phone with my daughter residing in England who is expecting her first child this October. I wondered if she, the baby, and husband were going to up for the Olympics in 2012 in London. After asking I thought that is a long way off. No need to worry about that just yet.
But here I am looking forward to the arrival of a new grandchild in October, being in England, and spending time with her and my son-in-law.
Just weeks prior I was looking forward to September and kayak fishing for salmon. That went out the window when my wife decided to attend her class reunion in California over the time I would be gone.
The same is true with the Nov. 15 firearms opener. I had been invited to deer camp in the U.P. and was already looking forward to that trip. That also got cancelled due to the new arrival.
That's the way it goes sometimes. Our plans get nixed for others that take priority. It's good in a way as it keeps us grounded and more or less reeled in.
By the way, thanks to all who took the time to email or otherwise write in about my fishing buddy Bill Baker. He passed within a couple days of my seeing him.
His response when I shook his hand and said I would be seeing him again proved prophetic. "No you won't," he said.
On a hot day, the honor guard took over for a military funeral at the Great Lakes Veterans Memorial Cemetery. It was a most fitting goodbye to someone who loved his country and devoted part of his life to serving it. He'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment